Skip to main content

Legal Alien (soon to be Illegal) married to US Citizen. How can we apply for Residency?

Indianapolis, IN |

My husband entered the US legally, 3 years ago, with a Student visa. Later he was able to stay with a work visa (because he found a job in his field.) We got married in July of this year and learned that his legal advisor (an attorney) forgot to send in the necessary papers to renew his work visa. He has been given 30 days to leave the country. Since we are now married (before all the problems started), I was wondering if we can do the forms I-130 and I-485 and do the Adjustment of Status. I know that the process will take more than 30 days, therefore we are worried that he will become illegal if we do the forms here in the US. Is he required to leave? Please help! Thank you!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    RELAX!! I've got good news for you: YES, you can apply for your husband immediately! File all Forms I-130, I-485; EAD application, and of course the Affidavit of Support (Form I-865) - make sure to read (and properly understand all the instructions).
    All the details you are giving do not matter anymore and are of no consequence. Once one marries a US citizen, as long as he/she was previously lawfully ADMITTED into the country, IT DOESN'T MATTER if one overstayed ("illegal") one's visa! (Many "sins" are forgiven to one who has married a USC..)
    Best of luck to you two! Enjoy the beautiful labor day weekend!

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. So, you are a US Citizen. Go file I-130 and I-485 concurrently with the supporting documents. The first thing should be to make an appointment for his medical exam. since it takes some time. You may want to meet with an attorney for speedy preparation.

  3. I agree with my colleagues.

    Guerra Saenz, PL--Immigration Attorneys (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics