Legal age to move out in Nebraska?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Omaha, NE

I am currently 17, will be graduating out of high school this December 21 and will be 18 in March. I want to MOVE OUT, I have been saving for the past year for an apartment or atleast to live with a friend. My friend's family said they wouldn't mind me living with them but my parents are STRICT and will not allow me to move out. Can I move out when I'm 18 in Nebraska, if so, under what circumstances? Also, If I can't in Nebraska, would I be able to go to Iowa, get an apartment over there and move out by myself..Or can they still do something about it?

1. Ashley Lee Albertsen

1

Answered . You are a resident of Nebraska and moving to Iowa will not change that. The age of majority (adulthood) in Nebraska is 19. Without your parents' permission you cannot move out until then. Is your only reason for wanting to move out because they are strict, or is there a more serious underlying reason?

2. Brendan Michael Kelly

Pro

Answered . You have to be 19 or have a parent's permission to move out. I would talk to them more about it. Yes, Iowa the legal age is 18, but your not a resident of Iowa and I doubt moving their would count.