Legal age to move out in Nebraska?

Omaha, NE |

I am currently 17, will be graduating out of high school this December 21 and will be 18 in March. I want to MOVE OUT, I have been saving for the past year for an apartment or atleast to live with a friend. My friend's family said they wouldn't mind me living with them but my parents are STRICT and will not allow me to move out. Can I move out when I'm 18 in Nebraska, if so, under what circumstances? Also, If I can't in Nebraska, would I be able to go to Iowa, get an apartment over there and move out by myself..Or can they still do something about it?

1. You have to be 19 or have a parent's permission to move out. I would talk to them more about it. Yes, Iowa the legal age is 18, but your not a resident of Iowa and I doubt moving their would count.

2. You are a resident of Nebraska and moving to Iowa will not change that. The age of majority (adulthood) in Nebraska is 19. Without your parents' permission you cannot move out until then. Is your only reason for wanting to move out because they are strict, or is there a more serious underlying reason?

I am a licensed attorney in the state of Nebraska. However, the advice I give here is not to be taken as legal advice. It is merely my opinion based on the limited information given. In order to assure that your legal rights are being properly represented I would always recommend going in for a consultation with an attorney to explain your case in detail and answer any questions the attorney might have.

Child custody topics