Legal Advice on why I have a bond arraignment, i am already out on bail and plead at my first arraignment...?

Asked about 2 years ago - Albuquerque, NM

I was picked up for a first dwi. I ws in jail for a couple of days until i posted 6k for bail. I had an arraignment hearing about a month later where i plead Not Guilty, Today i received a letter stating that i need to appear for a bond arraignment for charge TRF LNE. What does this mean? Will I be going back to jail?

1. Salim A. Khayoumi

Answered . In Albuquerque, a DWI-1st offense and a traffic lane violation are both misdemeanors thus your case is likely pending at Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court. Bond Arraignment at metro court is the court setting where you, the Defendant, will either plead guilty or not guilty and the Judge will modify or set additional conditions of release. The judge will also set the date for the next trial setting (i.e. pretrial conference), assuming that you plead not guilty. Keep in mind that the judge will advise you to retain counsel if you don't have one yet. Do not expect the judge to warn you to hire counsel at the next trial setting!!

In addition to the aforementioned, the date of bond arraignment also marks the 1st day of the 182 day rule (6 month rule). This means that the State must prosecute your case within 182 days of arraignment.

2. Jim Mitchell Medley

1

1

Answered . If you don't already have a lawyer on the DWI charge- get one. Your lawyer will make sure you don't end up in these awkward situations where you facing arrest and asking for strangers on the internet to tell you what to do.

Get representation. You cannot handle this by yourself.

3. Robert Laurens Driessen

1

Answered . Make sure you have an attorney prior to the next court appearance.
    Robert Driessen