Skip to main content


Claremont, CA |

Heavy fines, garnished wages, confiscation of my equipment? Is there a grace period so you can accumulate the funds? I would get my food handlers permit for the ice cream cart. Would I need to get a business license before that permit by the health department. My business is pulling an ice cream cart around neighborhoods locally with a reverse trike 50 cc. I also was wondering why an incorporation was so much more expensive than an llc. Can the government confiscate if you have either of these or are they protected?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    A business license is essentially a form of taxation. Look on your local municipal website for a business license. Sometimes they have exemptions for small businesses, but require you to apply anyway. Typically, if you do not pay business taxes, you get assessed penalties. However, I am not familiar with the law in Claremont.

  2. Most biz licenses are around 35-50 bucks.

  3. Los Angeles City and County sometimes impound carts. This has been very controversial and the practice has not been consistent. Total fees in LA can reach $800 to start. Look for assistance in the community: legal aid, law school clinic, neighborhood associations, etc. Good luck.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics