Legal action against a state child support agency?

Fairfax, VA |

I submitted a Request for Review & Adjustment in VA to get support amount lowered. This is my first request in 8 years. It's been 7 months since I submitted my request via DCSE (Division of Child Support Enforcement here in VA) and they were to forward it to the District of Columbia (where the case originated & where my Ex & minor child still reside). As of last Friday, SEVEN MONTHS since I filed &, no one will give me an answer as to the status of my request & the District of Columbia Division of Child Support Enforcement said that they have no record of the request having been submitted/forwarded to them by VA DCSE.

If I wanted to file to have them answer to a judge as to why nothing has been done, what exactly would I file? Several judges have told me to get the amount lowered.

1. DCSE is an administrative agency that provides free attorneys to assist parents in the establishment and collection of child support. I don't see where you have any action against DCSE or the attorneys. Paperwork gets lost. It would be difficult to show they lost it on purpose.

As for your filings, you may file the petitions on your own, or you can hire an attorney to represent you. Contact a private attorney who handles child support cases.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.