Left turn hit by a car with no headlights am I still at fault?

Asked over 2 years ago - Winter Park, FL

I made a left turn off my street headed towards the median turn lane at night and was hit by a car with no headlights on my drivers side. I left the scene in a ambulance, the other person refused care at the scene. The person was yelling and screaming at the paramedics and screamed obscenities at me, telling others to not call 911. I have put in a claim with my insurance and the person has yet to do so. I know new Florida law states if he does not seek medical attention he cannot receive medical from his insurance. Can he come after me and sue me for injuries that he did not receive care for within those 14 days? I was cited for only not stopping at the alley/sidewalk which was dismissed. The person is also from out of state from the mid-west.

1. 9

Answered . First of all, I hope your injuries are not too bad and that you will recover. Fault for an accident is not detemined by a police report. It is determined by a jury and the police report is not admissible evidence. In addition, the traffic infractions are not admissible. In situations like the one you described, fault be assessed against both parties. This is known as comparative negligence. You should immediately do two things. First you should speak with a personal injury attorney regarding the injuries you have sustained. Second, you should have your attorney demand that your insurance company defend you against any claim that the other driver may pursue against you.

This is not a situation you should deal with on your own. Get experieinced legal help.

2. 6

Answered . I would suggest you immediately consult with a local personal injury atty to get help with your rights as a result of your injuries. While consulting for that, the atty should be able to tell you what the other driver can and cant do. If the other driver is from out of state, his ins is probably from another state and may be different than Fla policies. Florida law would apply to what, if anything he can do to you.

3. 4

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you are feeling better.

"Fault" is not a black and white thing. In Florida, a jury can allocate fault based on a percentage and assign percentages of fault to each driver.

I would need to know more facts about your case. Please feel free to give me a call to discuss.

561-630-5363

Michael

Nothing in this answer is to be interpreted as legal advice. I would need more facts to fully assess your case.
  4. 3

Answered . I suggest contacting Mike Walker: (727) 797-2020, or Jim Magazine (727) 849-5353

Gina

5. 3

Answered . You should seek legal counsel at once. A review of the police report, medical records and other evidence would be needed to sort this matter out. You should get counsel in your State.

6. Answered . I am sorry to hear that you were involved in this accident and were taken by ambulance to the hospital. As a former accident victim, I know what it is like to be in an accident, injured and dealing with fault and insurance companies. Fault is determined by the evidence and not police reports or traffic citations. In Florida, accident reports are not admissible evidence. Evidence is gathered by other means and determined by a jury. The "new Florida law" that you are referring too applies to personal injury protection benefits, otherwise known as the Florida No-Fault law . It applies to the payment of your medical bills and wage loss and unfortunately does not stop the other party from coming after you. Of course, the more time passes the harder it will be for the other person to prove his injuries. The burden of proof in Florida is on the suing or claiming party to prove fault and their injuries. Hope this helps. If you do not already have an attorney representing you, I would be happy to consult with you regarding this matter. Consultations are free.