LEAVING THE US BUT HAVE CHILDREN - CHILD SUPPORT SITUATION

Asked 5 months ago - New Brunswick, NJ

My partner lives in Europe and I want to move to be with her. I have 3 kids, they are teenagers and one will soon be emancipated. I want now to move to Europe, but what is the situation regarding child support. I pay and I want to continue to pay but I will be on less money than my current job. How can I do this legally.

1. Peter Joseph Lamont

Pro

1

Answered . This situation is more complex than a traditional request for child support modification case. I strongly suggest that you retain an attorney to assist you.

2. Melissa A Fecak

1

Answered . If you are asking whether you can move, yes you can. Will your child support be reduced due to your move - it may or may not. More information would be needed to give you a more detailed answer. You should consult with an experienced attorney. This is not an easy question to answer online.

3. Marina Ginzburg

Pro

1

Answered . Your child support obligation will not change because you choose to move to Europe. If you voluntarily take a job that pays less, the court may order that your child support obligation continue without a decrease.