Leaving the scene of an accident/hit and run in Nashville?

Asked over 1 year ago - Nashville, TN

Last night, it was late and i lost control of my vehicle. I take prescription medication and mixed with a few drinks (and several hours) i hit a telephone pole. I left the scene of the accident. The police arrived (i was not there). The car was towed. I recently purchased the car from the owner and was driving using his plates (my father). No one showed up at his house (no call from him) and no one has called. What should i do? How much will an attorney cost?

1. Eric M. Larsen

Pro

3

Answered . You need to consult an attorney right away. Do not post any additionally statements about your case as it could be used against you. If you are interested in a free consultation feel free to call my office at 615 767 5900.

2. Matthew E. Wright

Pro

3

Answered . Metro Davidson County has a hit and run unit and they probably have just not gotten in contact with your father yet. The plates ae his so they will trace it back to him. They will presume he was the driver until proven otherwise. If your insurance was paid and up to date, they should cover the costs of the repair of the property damage. You also need to be aware they may press charges against you for leaving the scene and possibly for DUI. In the latter case, you defintely will need to get legal representation and for goodness sake, don't give any statements to anyone until you have talked to a lawyer.

3. Christopher Gilreath

2

Answered . First, it is important to take responsiblity for the crash and deal with the circumstances. Since it was a single car collision, and no one was apparently hurt, that helps the situation. Most likely Metro police impounded your car, and you will have to deal with the police to get it back. If you have auto insurance, you may have coverage to have legal counsel help you if there is any kind of claim involved for damage. For example, the City or a utility company could pursue a claim for damage to its property (the telephone pole). Ultimately, if you do nothing, the car will be sold, which seems a much more expensive loss than dealing with the situation. Not getting a call does not mean there is nothing going on. Most likely you will have to deal with the Metro police to work out the details. If you are not sure, and you need legal advice for yourself, consider hiring a criminal defense attorney.

4. Michael Shemtoub

3

Answered . You should immediately contact a local attorney. Most offer free consultations so that will cost you nothing but you have broken the law and need representation. Sometimes it takes the police a few days to show up but you are in a very bad situation as it stands and you need to have representation.

5. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . I'm a firm believer in living with a clean conscious. Contact local and qualified counsel. Good luck.
    Ps. I think you are too.

6. Albert Lee Crosner

3

Answered . The other attorneys have said it very well. You need to find a local Nashville attorney immediately to help you through this process. Fortunately, there were no injuries and only property damage involved.