Leaving the scene of an accident

Asked almost 5 years ago - Gate City, VA

it was late and i was driving home and ran out of the road over an inbankment there were no damages other than my car and it was out of the road so i went home and reported it the next morning but someone already had reported it no police came to my house they just towed my car . Is there anything they can charge me with other reckless driving.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Hit and skip laws all over are being taken very seriously and that is rightfully so. While the rules in VA where this happened are likely very specific ( I do not practice in VA), as a general matter, leaving the scene after an accident is - at a minimum - frowned upon and is not a good practice. After the fact advise is like Monday morning quarterbacking, but I observe that in this instance your first phone call should have been to the police reporting the location, describing what happened and that to your knowledge there were no witnesses nor anyone hurt etc....

That said, you should not compound your mistakes by trying to fight this court situation without an attorney.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Ethics: Yes I Need a Lawyer!"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/ethics-yes...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You."

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-cho...

You might read my Legal Guide "Can An Attorney Really Help?"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/can-an-att...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer?"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

You can miss defenses and say the wrong things if you are not represented by an advocate as your attorney.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

2. Howard Robert Roitman

Answered . Get a lawyer! Call your insurance company! don't post anything else about this!

Make sure you get a lawyer who can handle the traffic law and DMV aspect of you problems. You may be able to get some of the penalty's and charges reduced with good negotiation.

3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . You are not under any obligation to give the police any kind of a statement, so I suggest that you say nothing further. Who says you can be charged with reckless driving? Is there a witness to the way in which you were driving? Does anyone know how your car got in the position it ended up in? Is anyone a witness to you driving this vehicle? Can anyone, other than yourself, put you behind the wheel at the time of the incident? Do you see my point? You may be the only person who can sink your own ship, so keep a tight lip.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.