Skip to main content

Leaving the scene of an accident, I was sideswipe last night, my driver side mirror was broken

Albany, NY |

I stopped as soon the person sideswipe me they kept going but must have stopped further away and called the police for which after and seeing them leave I left and went home, so I get the police at my house giving me a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident, so is there a way to get that reduced to something or or should I just pay the fine and have points on my record.

Attorney Answers 11

  1. Consult with a criminal attorney in your area.

    Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.

  2. Hire a traffic lawyer to defend your case. Also, have your lawyer file a revised supplemental to the police report since you were hit , not the other way around. Also, you did not leave the scene of the accident until the other people left. Yo stayed at the scene. Fight the ticket. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  3. A criminal defense attorney will be able to negotiate with the district attorney and ask the judge to reduce the fine.

    -Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

  4. From what you have posted, you should consider fighting the ticket. You should also notify your insurance company of the accident. It is possible that the driver or passenger (if any) in the other vehicle has sustained an injury and may make a claim for personal injuries against you. Putting your insurance company on notice of this event will protect you in the event that a claim is indeed brought against you.

    Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

  5. Think it best you get a lawyer.

  6. There are no DMV "points," however leaving the scene is a major insurance merit system violation. More about difference between the two is on my web site here: You need counsel to defeat the charge.

  7. As mentioned here, you should hire a criminal/traffic violations attorney to assist you with this matter. The points on your record may adversely affect your insurance rates and if you happen to get additional points within an 18 month period you can be assessed additional penalties by the State. Good luck.

    The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.

  8. Hire a lawyer to defend this ticket. I also recommend that you seek legal and medical help if you were hurt as a result of the accident.

  9. Hire an attorney for several reasons. Criminal defense lawyer for leaving the scene of an accident. Traffic attorney for the ticket, points and fine. Personal injury accident if you were injured in the accident.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  10. Fight the ticket, it sounds defensible. Get a trafffic defense lawyer.

  11. You should fight it. It is defensible.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.