Leaving the scene of an accident, I was sideswipe last night, my driver side mirror was broken

Asked over 1 year ago - Albany, NY

I stopped as soon the person sideswipe me they kept going but must have stopped further away and called the police for which after and seeing them leave I left and went home, so I get the police at my house giving me a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident, so is there a way to get that reduced to something or or should I just pay the fine and have points on my record.

1. Craig A. Post

12

Answered . Consult with a criminal attorney in your area.

2. Michael Evan Greenspan

11

Answered . From what you have posted, you should consider fighting the ticket. You should also notify your insurance company of the accident. It is possible that the driver or passenger (if any) in the other vehicle has sustained an injury and may make a claim for personal injuries against you. Putting your insurance company on notice of this event will protect you in the event that a claim is indeed brought against you.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

3. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

10

Answered . There are no DMV "points," however leaving the scene is a major insurance merit system violation. More about difference between the two is on my web site here: http://www.attackthatticket.com/auto-insurance-.... You need counsel to defeat the charge.

4. Yefim Rubinov

10

Answered . Hire a lawyer to defend this ticket. I also recommend that you seek legal and medical help if you were hurt as a result of the accident.

5. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

11

Answered . Think it best you get a lawyer.

6. Anthony A. Ferrante

9

Answered . As mentioned here, you should hire a criminal/traffic violations attorney to assist you with this matter. The points on your record may adversely affect your insurance rates and if you happen to get additional points within an 18 month period you can be assessed additional penalties by the State. Good luck.

7. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

9

Answered . Hire an attorney for several reasons. Criminal defense lawyer for leaving the scene of an accident. Traffic attorney for the ticket, points and fine. Personal injury accident if you were injured in the accident.

8. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

9

Answered . You should fight it. It is defensible.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

9. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

10

Answered . Hire a traffic lawyer to defend your case. Also, have your lawyer file a revised supplemental to the police report since you were hit , not the other way around. Also, you did not leave the scene of the accident until the other people left. Yo stayed at the scene. Fight the ticket. Best of luck.

10. Michael Ryan Juarez

10

Answered . A criminal defense attorney will be able to negotiate with the district attorney and ask the judge to reduce the fine.

11. Robert Bruce Kopelson

8

Answered . Fight the ticket, it sounds defensible. Get a trafffic defense lawyer.