Leaving the scene of accident

I was given a notice to appear due to leaving the scene of accident, in which no other vehicles were involved. I left the scene to call for tow truck. The accident was due to standing water on the road which cause the car to hydro plane to the shoulder of the rd. causing the car to be directed into the ditch. I have a spotless driving record. This occurred in the early morning hours in a rural area. I had to leave to contact someone. There was NO alcohol involved. I only left to contact assistance (tow truck).the deputy gave me the notice to appear for leaving with property damage. The only damage was to my vehicle. My date to appear is in 3 days, Could you please advise me what I should expect. Thank you for your time

Green Cove Springs, FL -

Andrew Jay Weinstein

Andrew Jay Weinstein

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Pompano Beach, FL

You should contact both your insurance company and a criminal/traffic defense attorney to assist you with this matter.

Steven Parnell Weaver

Steven Parnell Weaver

Criminal Defense Attorney - Saint Louis, MO

Did you call the police? Why not? Contact a local attorney. You may have a credible defense with these facts. If you represent yourself, those are the questions the judge will ask.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

You should definitely spend a couple hundreds bucks for a local traffic court lawyer, as going without a lawyer is a bad bad thing

Justin Gary Hausler

Justin Gary Hausler

Criminal Defense Attorney - Casselberry, FL

If you are charged with leaving the scene of an accident, it is a criminal offense. This means that the consequences could include jail, probation etc. This offense is not a civil citation or what most people refer to as a "ticket." Call a lawyer to discuss your options. Are you set for arraignment? What county? Have you already made an insurance claim? Have you spoken to law enforcement?

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Business Attorney - Parker, CO

You need a traffic/criminal defense attorney immediately. In most states, I am not sure about FL, if you are convicted of leaving the scene or failing to report an accident to police then you lose your license.