Skip to main content

Leaving the scene of accident

Green Cove Springs, FL |

I was given a notice to appear due to leaving the scene of accident, in which no other vehicles were involved. I left the scene to call for tow truck. The accident was due to standing water on the road which cause the car to hydro plane to the shoulder of the rd. causing the car to be directed into the ditch. I have a spotless driving record. This occurred in the early morning hours in a rural area. I had to leave to contact someone. There was NO alcohol involved. I only left to contact assistance (tow truck).the deputy gave me the notice to appear for leaving with property damage. The only damage was to my vehicle. My date to appear is in 3 days, Could you please advise me what I should expect. Thank you for your time

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should contact both your insurance company and a criminal/traffic defense attorney to assist you with this matter.


Did you call the police? Why not? Contact a local attorney. You may have a credible defense with these facts. If you represent yourself, those are the questions the judge will ask.


You need a traffic/criminal defense attorney immediately. In most states, I am not sure about FL, if you are convicted of leaving the scene or failing to report an accident to police then you lose your license.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


You should definitely spend a couple hundreds bucks for a local traffic court lawyer, as going without a lawyer is a bad bad thing


If you are charged with leaving the scene of an accident, it is a criminal offense. This means that the consequences could include jail, probation etc. This offense is not a civil citation or what most people refer to as a "ticket." Call a lawyer to discuss your options. Are you set for arraignment? What county? Have you already made an insurance claim? Have you spoken to law enforcement?

You can get a free consultation by calling 407-617-1064. Please understand that the information given is not to be construed as legal advice. More information would be needed in order to make a more accurate legal determination on your matter. Furthermore, an attorney-client relationship does not begin until a retainer agreement has been signed by the attorney and client.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer