Leaving a house with no lease.

Asked over 3 years ago - Falls Church, VA

I live in fairfax, va. I have lived somewhere since august 2010 and did not sign a lease. I live with 4 other roommates. I know that I am required to give 30 days notice, which - gave on may 20. I paid through ;une 20. My landlord is now saying that I have to pay through the end of June. Is this what I am required to do?

I pay on the first of each month for a whole month at a time.

1. Brook Michael Thibault

Pro

Answered . Generally you have to give notice per the lease. Are the other roommates remaining? If you pay per month, the landlord would normally have to give you one month notice before he kicks you out. Best to work things out nicely and not drag it into court.

2. Charles Edward Mcwilliams Jr.

Answered . I agree that it is best to work this matter out without litigation. That said, it appears you do not have a written lease, and in that light, you would likely be considered a month to month tenant. In VA, a month to month tenancy is terminated by "giving 30 days' notice in writing, prior to the next rent due date." This does not mean the lease terminates 30 days from the date you give notice, but rather, the lease terminates at the end of the next rental term. So, a May 20 notice would be sufficient to terminate the lease effective June 30, not June 20.