Lease termination due to loss of employment

Youngstown, OH |

I rent a condo in youngstown and have a year left on my lease .my job eliminated my position and let me go i looked for months for a new job with no luck the unemployment was not enough so i had to broaden my search and found a job in columbus now i am renting a room in columbus while my wife is still living in youngstown .i was hoping there was a way to break the lease legally so we can move all to columbus and will i be able to get the deposit back.

I suggest closely reading your lease - that will ultimately dictate how or if you can break your lease. I would be inclined to predict that your lease does not allow you to break the lease for any grounds. Your best may be to contact your landlord in a very respectful manner and see if there is anything the landlord can do to work with you. If the landlord can immediately get a new tenant to fill your vacancy, you may not have a problem. As such, if you are upfront and helpful in the search for a replacement tenant you may ultimately find a way to retain your deposit and not necessarily breach the lease.

I am licensed attorney in Ohio & Kentucky. Posting a response to your question or issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I am not providing you legal advice. Every case is fact specific; therefore my response should not be construed as a legal opinion. You should speak with an attorney who is licensed in your state to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights or right to recover damages. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Joseph L. Beyke or Mills, Mills, Fiely & Lucas, LLC.

i agree with my colleague entirely

just one point to add: after you carefully read your lease, i am gonna guess there is no "out" clause
losing your job is not a reason to break a lease

so, as suggested by Attorney Beyke, be upfront with your Landlord and see what you can negotiate
to the extent that you can find a replacement all the better
plan on not getting your deposit back

do not agree to pay any large lump sum to Landlord
if Landlord will agree to say 3 months rent for the breach of lease
my advice is to agree if you can make affordable payments
this would be cheaper than having to come back to Youngstown and defending a lawsuit

Recommended articles about Employment