Skip to main content

Lease states I lose deposit & must pay 2 mo. rent if I leave apt. before lease ends. I lost my job. Is there any way out of it?

Memphis, TN |

The lease mentions that the penalty doesn't apply if someone is in the military and must provide transfer orders. My rent equals the total amount I will receive in unemployment each month. I still need to be able to pay for food, a car payment, car insurance, etc. Is it legal for them to be able to enforce this? I'm not leaving the apartment out of choice. I have no other option. I am moving in with family to be able to survive.

Attorney Answers 2


Sure, speak with the landlord or manager and explain the situation, if possible get a new renter in there in your place, offer to pay for advertising until an new renter is brought in. If they will not agree though the contract should be checked by a local landlord/tenants rights attorney to see if it is valid.

Legal Disclaimer. This communication is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between you and James Ronald Tucker, Jr. Thus, your receipt or transmission of information to or from the James Ronald Tucker, Jr. alone does not create an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. James Ronald Tucker, Jr. assumes no liability for the use or interpretation of information contained herein. The legal information herein provided is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended as professional counsel and should not be used as such. You should contact a competent attorney in your area to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Mr. Tucker is correct. The landlord will be more likely to accommodate you if there is anther renter readily available. Help him find someone else. Unless there is a sublease limitation, you could rent the property to someone else and pay him the rent they pay you. Good Luck!

Call 615-736-9596 for consultation. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for information only. Call me or another attorney to represent you.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics