Lease car is in divorce agreement but extra miles are not

Wappingers Falls, NY |

divorced after 3 years,she got lease car for the remainder of the lease18 months {the car is in my name},when the car goes over the allowed miles,how do i get the car back before she runs up thousands of dollars in extra miles.

1. Is the divorce agreement final and incorporated into the decree? Does it address the extra mileage charges? It sounds like it doesn't, in which case it will be argued that you are responsible for all charges related to the car, including the excess mileage.

Unless you thought of that issue before you inked the agreement, it's probably too late to change it, and in any case, if the agreement provides for your ex to get the car and you are only now considering the implications of the extra mileage charges and the agreement is silent, I don't see how you can "get the car back" just because she's not staying within the free mileage allowance.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. Better to ask the attorney who drafted this agreement.

(1) I may be guessing. Do not act or rely upon this info; (2) We have not established an attorney-client relationship; and (3) If you insist I tell you something upon which you can actually rely: don't eat yellow snow.

3. Talk the attorney who drafted the divorce agreement