Learning how to do legal research of case law in state of Washington in the area of labor law for employee/employer disputes.

Seattle, WA |

Judging from how things have been going with my employer over the last thirteen years, and how things are going currently, I find it necessary to learn labor law in the state of Washington. Can someone please recommend reading and research material/websites so I can understand, not just basics but, case law and precedents.

I'm an hourly, for-cause, municipal employee, represented by a labor union (but my union has zero interest in anything that would cause controversy, and will not give any legal advice, or field legal questions).

Thank you!

I agree with the previous attorney. UW Law School is free, but sort of hard for a beginner to orient themself. Seattle University Law School costs $5 (I believe), but is easier to manage. Start with the Nutshell series, Washington Practice, and Concise Hornbooks series. You may have to reference the broader topic of Employment Law to find your subset.

Not many website that would do you much good, unfortunately. You can always ask questions on Avvo, though :)

Good luck!

2. Go to your local law school library.
    I see pro se litigants in there all the time.
    The law librarians, law school students, and
    even attorneys visiting can help you if you
    ask politely. There's TONS of stuff to read
    also. Good luck!

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.

3. Depending on the issue you're dealing with you might also find helpful information on the Department of Labor and Industry's website and the Human Rights Commission's website.

Providing this general response does not create an attorney client relationship.

State, local, and municipal law topics