Lead non disclosure while signing the lease

I signed a lease for room in a house. The house is very old and I guess it has lead paint. At the time of signing the lease, landlord did not tell me anything about lead as required by EPA. Can I terminate the lase because of this failure to non-disclosure. Since I am renting a room in his house, would it count under zero bedroom dwelling exception of EPA.

Mountain View, CA -

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Real Estate Attorney - San Marino, CA

Your "guess" that the room or house contains lead would not be sufficient grounds to unilaterally terminate the lease early. You would need to have to the place tested for the presence of lead to confirm whether your speculation is true, and even if so, your remedies normally would be for the landlord to remedy the situation rather than terminating the lease.

Martha Bronson

Martha Bronson

Family Law Attorney - Tracy, CA

I agree with counsel that mere nondisclosure is not a get out of lease free ticket. If you have sincere concerns, then get it tested. Good Luck.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.