Lead non disclosure while signing the lease

Asked over 1 year ago - Mountain View, CA

I signed a lease for room in a house. The house is very old and I guess it has lead paint. At the time of signing the lease, landlord did not tell me anything about lead as required by EPA. Can I terminate the lase because of this failure to non-disclosure. Since I am renting a room in his house, would it count under zero bedroom dwelling exception of EPA.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

3

Answered . Your "guess" that the room or house contains lead would not be sufficient grounds to unilaterally terminate the lease early. You would need to have to the place tested for the presence of lead to confirm whether your speculation is true, and even if so, your remedies normally would be for the landlord to remedy the situation rather than terminating the lease.

2. Martha Bronson

3

Answered . I agree with counsel that mere nondisclosure is not a get out of lease free ticket. If you have sincere concerns, then get it tested. Good Luck.