Lawyers ethics?

Massapequa Park, NY |
Filed under: Professional ethics

did you know the A.B.A. has ruled that belonging to media sites such as avvo is considered un-ethical behavior? What are you all doing here besides soliciting?

1. Not so. You have misunderstood the ethics rules.

2. Citation please. What are you doing here besides trolling?

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

3. There is no ethical or disciplinary rule that prevents any of us from helping out our fellow citizens with some good, free legal advice. I haven't seen one lawyer who is answering questions like I am try to solicit a case. Some of us actually love what we do, are proud of what we do, and want to help out.

I can tell you that for me, I find the questions and the process of answering them sort of like a continuing legal education. I hope that my answers assist the person on the receiving end make a decision with regard to a potential case. I can see that if someone was to read these questions and answers and was a potential defendant or in a high risk industry that makes them potential defendants that this forum may be upsetting.

4. I would like to see that "ruling". The lawyers here are giving free advice to people who have legal problems. You are quite mistaken and I would ask you to offer any ruling to say that being on Avvo is "unethical" as none exists to my knowledge.

Professional ethics topics