Lawyer to meet with prosecutor on my OWI case

Lowell, IN |

Is there a reason that lawyers meet with the prosecutor prior to a OWI case?

This is a question you should ask your attorney. And I am sure he/she will explain to you that this is common practice. After receiving and reviewing the discovery from the State a lawyer will next meet with the prosecutor to discuss the case and see if a beneficial plea agreement can be reached and trial avoided.

OK that makes sense. He told me we are going to do a plea and gave me a court date since he met with the prosecutor so I guess thats a good sign. Thank you .

Michael David Babcock

Michael David Babcock

Your welcome. Never be afraid to ask questions of your own attorney. If you don't fully understand the answer ask him to explain. You need to be comfortable and informed.

State by state and jurisdiction by jurisdiction, the answer may vary. However, in WA, where I practice, it is completely appropriate that your attorney meets with or speaks with the prosecutor about your case. Plea bargaining is a common practice in criminal defense cases, and is often helpful to your case ---- furthermore, depending on your jurisdiction, your attorney may have an obligation to negotiate and/or discuss the case with the prosecutor. You should talk to your lawyer, though, and find out why.
Good luck!

I am not an insurance rep and make no recommendation on any company.

Meetings are held between prosecutors and defense counsel in order to discuss various aspects of the case. In the early stages of your OWI case, the meeting may simply be to provide discovery and discuss discovery handed over to defense counsel as well as to discuss additional and supplemental discovery. Meetings could also be held in order to discuss a potential plea agreement.

In short, there are numerous reasons as to why your attorney will meet with the prosecutor. It is normally to your benefit if your attorney keeps the lines of communication open with the prosecutor.

after meeting with the prosecutor my lawyer has decided on a plea bargain. Does that mean that most likely the prosecutor has agreed to the plea bargain and if so does that mean I have a good chance?

Rock Christopher Lee

Rock Christopher Lee

That is a question for your attorney. However, you should assume the if your attorney has presented you with a plea bargain, that is the offer agreed upon by the prosecutor. Keep in mind, the ultimate decision whether to accept or reject a plea offer is with the defendant.

Yes, it helps to understand matters if both sides meet and talk.

Traffic tickets topics