Lawyer refuses to give me my half share

Asked 11 months ago - Campbell, CA

Current lawyer refused to give me the portion of a house sale that went thru the courts because sibling refused to cooperate. He says that he can be sued by the sibling but the court said it was ok to sell. Anything I can do to get my share? Sibling and I are not in contact because of personal issues.

1. Scott Richard Kaufman

2

Answered . If there is money in dispute, it cannot be dispersed until the dispute it settled.
    Whatever portion is NOT in dispute MUST be dispersed.

2. Michael Charles Doland

Answered . Your facts are not clear if there is ongoing litigation. In the event of a fee dispute with your attorney, you may contact the State Bar.

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . If there is a dispute over the money, the attorney is required to hold onto the disputed portion until the dispute is resolved. At some point, if the dispute cannot be amicably resolved, then the attorney should file an interpleader lawsuit, where he deposits the disputed funds with the Court and lets a judge figure out what to do with the money.

4. John Noah Kitta

Answered . If your employer is in violation of the California Labor Code, you have an entitlement right to be paid as well as penalties and the recovery of attorney fees and costs. You should retain legal counsel who can obtain payment from the Labor Board decision. In regard to an audit, that’s up to the Labor Board whether they decide to take action or not take action in regard to your fellow employees.

I hope this is helpful.

John N. Kitta
    Fremont

5. Charles Michael Standard

Answered . You would need to provide a lot more information in order to obtain a sufficient answer to your question. For example, is this matter in probate? Is it in civil court?

If you would like a free consultation, please do not hesitate to contact me at (408) 796-9616.

6. Madhu Kalra

Pro

Answered . Need additional facts to respond. To get your share, ask your lawyer to get court order regarding manner of distribution of the sale proceeds of house among all heirs/beneficiaries of the sale proceeds after payment of all expenses, if any.