LAWYER NO LONGER WANTED TO REPRESENT ME . DO I HAVE TO PAY HIM FILING FEES ?

Redlands, CA |

I FINALLY GOT MY SETTLEMENT FROM MY PERSONAL INJURY LAWSUIT. MY FIRST LAWYER DIDNT WANT TO CONTINUE MY CASE . THE SECOND WAS INCOMPITANT AND MADE A MESS OF MY CASE THE THIRD LAWYER WHO HAS FIXED IT IS TELLING ME THAT MY CHECK IS BEING HELD UP BY LAWYER #1 THE ONE WHO DIDNT WANT TO CONTINUE MY LAWSUIT ?? I DISAGREE WITH PAYING HIM. ISNT THAT THE LAW TO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE #1 LAWYER IN CALIFORNIA AFTER BEING DROPPED BY HIM
??

1. His decision to drop you as a client does not prevent him from recovering for any hard costs he paid on your behalf. Regardless of who was your attorney, the only way the lawsuit was going to get started was to pay the filing fee. He apparently paid it. You must reimburse him for that cost.

Keep in mind, reimbursing him for that cost is very different than paying him any attorney fees.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

2. What does your fee agreement say? If you already have a lawyer it would be inappropriate for a lawyer on Avvo to comment further.

You are welcome to call Ms. Johns' offices for a free or low cost consultation at (866) 402-4038. Please note that Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have signed a written fee or letter agreement confirming her office's representation of you. This email does not otherwise constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

3. "LAWYER NO LONGER WANTED TO REPRESENT ME . DO I HAVE TO PAY HIM FILING FEES?" -- Yes. You are responsible for costs. Whether or not the 1st lawyer is owed any fees depends on the reason you were "dropped." If it was for cause, the 1st lawyer is entitled to reasonable fees. Otherwise, probably not. Since you are represented by counsel you should follow your attorney's advice in this matter.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference