Lawyer is trying to bully me into giving him free services.

Asked 10 months ago - Knoxville, TN

I have a dispute with a client who is asking that I turn over a completed website without him paying the balance due. He claims he is offended because my recent answers to an email were short (not rude, just not lengthy).

He recently took the bar exam so he's quite full of himself and threatening to take my contract apart and cause me "big headaches."

I asked him to please read the contract which states, "client will provide a website design brief." When I asked for a design brief, he said, "I don't know what I want."

So I have designed the website and made numerous revisions. I have been impatient with him at times, but for good reason. He is impossible to please. At least, he pretends to be. Now I think it's just part of his scam.

1. James M. Osak

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Bet you that this "lawyer" will be working for (defending) an Insurance Company in the near future.

If Mr. Bar Attorney" doesn't provide you with a "website design brief" then hasn't he BREACHED
    the contract? Give him fourteen (14) days to provide you with the "brief" or tell him you're closing
    his file and he can go elsewhere to get a website.

In the future . . . put in BOLD LETTERS that all fees you receive are NONREFUNDABLE.

I know a web designer that's designed websites for lawyers from CA to the Midwest
    and she has problems like your all the time.

Good luck!

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

4

1

Answered . No law against being rude, curt or short with clients. Don't worry about what he thinks he can do b/c he just took the bar--the bar is a far cry from being a lawyer and has nothing do do with his ability to take your contract apart. Stick to adherence to the provisions of your contract and hold him to his--if he refuses to pay, don't give him anything else and consider taking him to court--a good drubbing in court is just the thing to 'right-size' an ego run amok.

3. Galen Gentry

Pro

2

1

Answered . It is good that you have a written contract with clients. If a client doesn't comply with the terms but you want to continue working with them make sure that you note in an email or other writing that the client is failing to comply with the terms of the agreement and while you will continue working you are not giving up any of your rights under the contract. Nor is the client relieved of any of his/her obligations. (Maybe use language that's not as "lawyer sounding"). Below is a link to an article for do it yourself contract writers. Check the list of ten elements every contract should have against your own contracts to ensure you have a good one.