Lawyer had me sign a release form so the insurance company can send the check how long does it take?

Asked over 1 year ago - West Salem, WI

I signed a release form for state farm for 100,000.00 bodily injury settlement and that was before christmas, and i still havnt heard from my attorney, he told me it would only take a few days for them to send if that, and the check would have to sit in the account for 3 days to clear, it has been 3 weeks roughly? I dont know if my lawyer is dragging his feet or not.

1. John Scott Swimmer

8

Answered . Some insurance companies have been delaying sending settlement checks. This is unfortunate and rest assured it is not your attorney who is dragging his or her feet. This is the insurance company.

2. Jeffrey A. Pitman

Pro

8

Answered . It's common for a check to take up to 30 days to be received by your attorney.

3. Kenneth Lee LaBore

Pro

7

Answered . It often takes time to get the check , have it deposited and cleared. I would call the attorney and ask when the check will be available. My guess it shortly.

It often takes time to make sure that you do not have any outstanding liens or bills.

Pro

7

Answered . Should take less than a month.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. Michael C. Witt

Pro

5

Answered . Your attorney doesn't get paid until you do, so there is no reason to believe they are dragging their feet. Looking back three weeks from today gets us to just before Christmas, with two short work weeks due to the way Christmas and New Year's fell this year. You have an attorney that got you a six-figure tender from an insurance company. The least you could do is show them the courtesy of addressing your questions to them.

6. Timothy Leo Bowden

4

Answered . things happen. call your lawyer and ask for them to check on it.

7. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

4

Answered . You really should talk to your attorney about this. Most personal injury lawyers know from experience that prompt payment after a settlement is very important to most clients and as business people, personal injury attorneys want happy clients, who will recommend them to friends, not bad-mouth them about how long it took to get paid.

That said, sometimes insurance companies drag their feet about paying and there's not a lot lawyers can do to insure very prompt payment. A lawyer can always file a Motion to Enforce Settlement in court and occasionally I have done so but that process takes weeks. State Farm does NOT have a reputation for delaying payments.