Lawyer had me sign a release form so the insurance company can send the check how long does it take?

West Salem, WI |

I signed a release form for state farm for 100,000.00 bodily injury settlement and that was before christmas, and i still havnt heard from my attorney, he told me it would only take a few days for them to send if that, and the check would have to sit in the account for 3 days to clear, it has been 3 weeks roughly? I dont know if my lawyer is dragging his feet or not.

1. Some insurance companies have been delaying sending settlement checks. This is unfortunate and rest assured it is not your attorney who is dragging his or her feet. This is the insurance company.

This is not intended as legal advice. It is only provided for educational purposes and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Further no attorney client relationship is or has been formed by answering this question.

2. It often takes time to get the check , have it deposited and cleared. I would call the attorney and ask when the check will be available. My guess it shortly.

It often takes time to make sure that you do not have any outstanding liens or bills.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

3. It's common for a check to take up to 30 days to be received by your attorney.

4. Should take less than a month.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

5. things happen. call your lawyer and ask for them to check on it.

6. Your attorney doesn't get paid until you do, so there is no reason to believe they are dragging their feet. Looking back three weeks from today gets us to just before Christmas, with two short work weeks due to the way Christmas and New Year's fell this year. You have an attorney that got you a six-figure tender from an insurance company. The least you could do is show them the courtesy of addressing your questions to them.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.

7. You really should talk to your attorney about this. Most personal injury lawyers know from experience that prompt payment after a settlement is very important to most clients and as business people, personal injury attorneys want happy clients, who will recommend them to friends, not bad-mouth them about how long it took to get paid.

That said, sometimes insurance companies drag their feet about paying and there's not a lot lawyers can do to insure very prompt payment. A lawyer can always file a Motion to Enforce Settlement in court and occasionally I have done so but that process takes weeks. State Farm does NOT have a reputation for delaying payments.