Skip to main content

Lawyer for special education issues with school district.

Denver, CO |

Our daughter is 5 years old and is diagnosed with Apraxia of Speech. Apraxia is a neurological disorder that affects her speech. She is currently on an IEP and the school district is telling us they are unable to meet her IEP needs at the public school she was accepted to for fall 2014. They are telling us this is because the district already determined that the speech therapist will only be given 5 hours a week at this school despite what children's IEP requirements are. We feel like this is not meeting her Individualized Education Plan, but is rather a predetermination by the school district.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to look up the Legal Center for People with Disabilities in Denver on Sherman Street here on the internet and give them a call. I worked for their Salt Lake City office throughout law school and they represent people for free, based on taxpayer funds. One of us could represent you, but it would be expensive.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.



Thank you. We have contacted them and will complete a phone intake interview in the next week with them.


You can force the school to comply with your child's IEP. You should consult a special education attorney and get assistance. You can find one here on
Best of Luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi


Legal Center for People with Disabilities in Denver should help you for free


The IDEA presumes that your child will be educated in the local or neighborhood school that she would attend, regardless of whether she has an IEP. As a general rule, if the student is not making satisfactory progress in the local school, despite the provision of supplementary aides, supports, and services, then and only then should an alternate educational setting be considered. If the school district is making a categorical decision at the onset to exclude her from that school due to the administrative convenience of the school district by not having sufficient SLP services in her new school, rather than having sufficient services that would address your daughter' individual needs as listed in the IEP, then your state Department of Education is supposed to investigate informal complaints such as what you have described in your post. If the State Department of Education informal complaint resolution process is not effective or a viable option for you, then you should consult a knowledgeable special education attorney about your concerns in order to determine whether there has been a denial of a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) because your concerns with the predetermination/categorical decision making resulting in your daughter not being placed in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE). There are decisions out there that discuss a denial of FAPE based upon predetermination and categorical decision making by school districts, however, whether those decisions would be applicable to your daughter's situation should be made by an attorney who has consulted with you and reviewed the relevant educational records and applicable law.. On final thought, have you visited the proposed school for next year? If not, then you should consider a visit so you can have additional information for the next IEP meeting and/or informal complaint such as the travel distance from home, peer group, array of services, etc. Please note that depending on where you live, this general information could differ and that is the reason that you should consult a knowledgeable special education attorney in your state before making any decisions about the formal or informal administrative remedies and other rights listed in your Procedural Safeguards.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer