Lawsuit for back wages stolen and a bonus pay from a class action

i was only owed 3k and will be given a bonus of 10k do i have to put the bonus on the w2 form or is that like a personal injury where it is yours and no one can touch it?

New York, NY -

Attorney Answers (3)

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Only compensation for physical injury in a personal injury case is tax free. Compensation for lost wages is taxable. Your money sounds taxable but ask the lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
Herbert J Tan

Herbert J Tan

Employment / Labor Attorney

Unless it is compensation for a physical injury, more likely than not, those are taxable.

Below is the IRS link to such:

Herbert Tan, Esq.

The Mack Cali Building
One Bridge Plaza North, Suite 275
Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024
(201) 654-0716

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(914) 830-0215

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
David B Pittman

David B Pittman

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Fort Myers, FL

You really need to ask your lawyer or consult a tax professional for the best advice.

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.