Lawsuit for back wages stolen and a bonus pay from a class action

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

i was only owed 3k and will be given a bonus of 10k do i have to put the bonus on the w2 form or is that like a personal injury where it is yours and no one can touch it?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Only compensation for physical injury in a personal injury case is tax free. Compensation for lost wages is taxable. Your money sounds taxable but ask the lawyer.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Herbert J Tan

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unless it is compensation for a physical injury, more likely than not, those are taxable.

    Below is the IRS link to such:

    Herbert Tan, Esq.

    The Mack Cali Building
    One Bridge Plaza North, Suite 275
    Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024
    (201) 654-0716

    Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (914) 830-0215

    Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  3. David B Pittman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You really need to ask your lawyer or consult a tax professional for the best advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,139 answers this week

3,180 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,139 answers this week

3,180 attorneys answering