Lawsuit for back wages stolen and a bonus pay from a class action

New York, NY |

i was only owed 3k and will be given a bonus of 10k do i have to put the bonus on the w2 form or is that like a personal injury where it is yours and no one can touch it?

Only compensation for physical injury in a personal injury case is tax free. Compensation for lost wages is taxable. Your money sounds taxable but ask the lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Unless it is compensation for a physical injury, more likely than not, those are taxable.

Below is the IRS link to such:

Herbert Tan, Esq.

The Mack Cali Building
One Bridge Plaza North, Suite 275
Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024
(201) 654-0716

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(914) 830-0215

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

You really need to ask your lawyer or consult a tax professional for the best advice.

Recommended articles about Employment