Lawsuit against my child school and teacher

El Paso, TX |

My daughter is in the 5th grade and she is considered a special needs student. Well she came home with a book titled Flight that her teacher gave her to read. This book isn't suitable for kids her age. It is very violent, vulgar, and contains 106 curse words. I want to know if I have a case, and if so what type of lawyer do I need. If not what can I do to get this book out of little kids hands?

1. A school district and a teacher generally do not have any liability for giving an assignment a parent finds offensive. You should contact the teacher, the campus-level administration, the district-level administration, and the school board if you're concerned. They may allow you to exempt your child from the assignment and may remove the book from the curriculum altogether.

This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. Without knowing the specifics of your situation and prior to engaging in an attorney-client relationship I am unable to provide specific direction.

Education law topics