Law suit going on too long/

Asked over 1 year ago - Ocala, FL

Two sisters are differing over some probate matters , 5 years now , I want it to end and my third of the inherited money helps pay to the estate lawyer fees when my sister's lawyers ; and the estate lawyer have to confer . What is the most polite way to approach a judge to get them to move along and resolve the issues ? Forget trying to talk to either sister . Thanks - -

1. Stephanie Sauer Woods

Pro

13

Answered . It is best that you be represented by an attorney in this matter. So if you don't have one, you should get one.
    It would be advisable to set a case status conference with the Court and/or to petition for mediation on the outstanding issues that are preventing the probate from closing.
    Florida does have a law that states the Court can assess the attorneys fees and costs against the shares of the individuals that are causing the attorneys fees and costs to be incurred.

2. Adam Troy Rauman

10

Answered . Five years is a long time for a probate to be opened. Most judges will require something be done to close the estate. If you have an attorney, petition for mediation or a division of assets to separate yours from the rest of the funds. If you don't have an attorney you should get one quickly. The bickering is costing you money as well as attorney fees are taken before any inheritance is paid out.

3. Lawrence Joseph Marraffino

Pro

8

Answered . You need to be represented by a litigation attorney to represent your interests and move the case along.

Lawrence J. Marraffino
    Gainesville Florida Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer
    www.ljmpa.com

4. James P. Frederick

7

Answered . If you have an attorney, I would have your attorney petition for facilitation or mediation. I am surprised that after 5 years, this has not already been done. That has a chance at ending the dispute in one day, for relatively nominal cost. If you do not have an attorney, you might want to think about purchasing an hour or two of time, in order to get a proper petition prepared. This will likely save you money and impress the judge.

James Frederick

5. Sagi Shaked

Pro

3

Answered . File motion to set for binding mediation