Lautenberg, Battery and Gun ownership

Las Vegas, NV |

I just had a conversation with my nephew. He had a scuffle with his ex girlfriend whom he live with for 2 months several months prior. She got in the middle and fell down. He not only was charged with battery but now I understand that if he looses he'll have a "family violence" battery and loose his right to own a gun. Is this true? Is it true in all states? How can this be?

Yes.

If your nephew had a Domestic Battery charge in Nevada, your nephew could possibly be required to give up your rights to own and/or possess a firearm. NRS 176.337 states "If a defendant is convicted of a misdemeanor or felony that constitutes domestic violence pursuant to NRS 33.018, the court shall notify the defendant that possession, shipment, transportation or receipt of a firearm or ammunition by defendant may constitute a felony pursuant to NRS 202.360 or federal law."

The answer above is only based upon the limited information provided. The answer is limited and my review is likewise limited, and thus the response is not intended to be acted upon as legal advice. Although licensed in numerous states, I am currently only licensed to practice law in the state of Nevada. No attorney-client relationship is formed until you sign an attorney-client agreement with my office. Any information provided is for discussion purposes only and there is no attorney-client relationship formed. Only general legal information is provided. Each case is unique and accurate legal advise would require review of all details and documents for each specific case. It is possible that the comments here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate.