Lautenberg, Battery and Gun ownership

Asked about 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I just had a conversation with my nephew. He had a scuffle with his ex girlfriend whom he live with for 2 months several months prior. She got in the middle and fell down. He not only was charged with battery but now I understand that if he looses he'll have a "family violence" battery and loose his right to own a gun. Is this true? Is it true in all states? How can this be?

1. George G. Trachtman

1

Answered . If your nephew had a Domestic Battery charge in Nevada, your nephew could possibly be required to give up your rights to own and/or possess a firearm. NRS 176.337 states "If a defendant is convicted of a misdemeanor or felony that constitutes domestic violence pursuant to NRS 33.018, the court shall notify the defendant that possession, shipment, transportation or receipt of a firearm or ammunition by defendant may constitute a felony pursuant to NRS 202.360 or federal law."

2. Hillary Johns

1

Answered . Yes.