Skip to main content

Late on mortgage and house was robbed

Beltsville, MD |

I've had the worst situation ever. I have been late on my mortgage for about half year. The monthly Nationwide insurance is included in the mortgage payment. My house was robbed today, and the robbers took all my cash, jewelry, and other things.
I'm so worried if Nationwide would reimburse the loss or not?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Most likely the insurance company has been paying, because if the hosue burns down they get screwed without insurance. You are most likely fine.

    Information here is general, does not create a lawyer-client relationship, nor a substitute for consulting with an experienced attorney on the specifics of your situation.

  2. You need to determine if your insurance premium has been paid. Was your lender paying your insurance through an escrow account or were you paying your insurance premium directly. If your insurance policy in full force and effect, the fact that you haven't paid your mortgage should not impact your ability to collect under the terms of your policy.

    This should not be construed as formal legal advice or the offer of the formation of an attorney/client relationship. There is no substitute for taking the time to consult directly with an attorney regarding your specific legal needs and issues.

  3. Your house insurance is usually paid once a year by your mortgage company. If it is not paid, then the insurance company is suppose to mail you notice of the cancelation.
    First, see if if was canceled. If not, file your claim.
    Second, if it was not paid, see if you received your cancellation notice. Whether you received the cancellation notice, or not, contact a Md. insurance law attorney. The attorney should know or be able to find out the law governing the proper procedures for canceling a home owners policy. If the procedures were not followed, then you may have a case against your insurer.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics