Lasting Complications from Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion surgery I had about 9 months ago. No body can tell me why

Asked over 2 years ago - Rices Landing, PA

I am 32 years old and I had ACDF surgery. The date alludes me right now, but over the years I've had minor neck pain maybe once a year in that. Went in for a routine checkup in 2011 and they found out I had a ruptured disc. Now I have weighed the same since 2000 maybe even younger, I ate healthy, very very active in sports "so no problems breathing or blood pressure" and etc. I have an identical twin, who isn't as active as me, eats whatever he likes and he's still the same weight as he's always been. He's weighs 125-135 and just like me prior to the surgery we could drop lbs w/o trying. I weighed around 135-140 because my brother has been a vegetarian. After surgery I gained 40lbs within weeks, blood pressure is high, became weak, etc. My family believes my thyroid was nicked or something

Additional information

I know this has nothing to do with age. Had strength and good health before surgery. The Dr never told me of these side effects from the surgery. Even upon being released my BP was very high and the nurses were concerned, and asked the DR. He got upset and wrote a script and released me. Tried researching, can't find an exact answer. If the thyroid was nicked the marked might be healed or I read that their are parts connected to the thyroid gland that could cause similar effects if hit. Seen many specialists but none of them know what to do. They just know my side effects aren't common and even few should last this long. I wish to know the truth, fix it, gain most of my strength back; I.E. I could do 35 pull-ups but now maybe I can do 5 after a year", not worry about my BP and hate being labeled the fat twin now. It's sad I can't even wear the same clothes as my brother. Used to have a 6 pack like my twin but now I look like I'm prego or liquid is leaking into my stomach.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Scott B Cooper

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consutl with a specialist immediately. If you believe there was medical negligence you have two years generally (with some exceptions) to file a lawsuit so you may want to consult with a lawyer who specializes in medicla negligence claims immediately. The lawyer may be able to give you an idea of whether there was possible negligence or if this is a complication of the surgery that is a known risk.

    Scott B. Cooper

  2. Harold Semanoff


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . First and foremost, consult with an endocrinologist if you have not already done so. What you are describing does not sound like a known risk or complication of your surgery. If you can determine the cause of your sudden weight gain and it appears related to your surgery then you should consult with an attorney specializing in medical malpractice. There is a 2 year statute of limitations on such claims in Pennsylvania .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,306 answers this week

3,160 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,306 answers this week

3,160 attorneys answering