Lasting Complications from Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion surgery I had about 9 months ago. No body can tell me why

Rices Landing, PA |

I am 32 years old and I had ACDF surgery. The date alludes me right now, but over the years I've had minor neck pain maybe once a year in that. Went in for a routine checkup in 2011 and they found out I had a ruptured disc. Now I have weighed the same since 2000 maybe even younger, I ate healthy, very very active in sports "so no problems breathing or blood pressure" and etc. I have an identical twin, who isn't as active as me, eats whatever he likes and he's still the same weight as he's always been. He's weighs 125-135 and just like me prior to the surgery we could drop lbs w/o trying. I weighed around 135-140 because my brother has been a vegetarian. After surgery I gained 40lbs within weeks, blood pressure is high, became weak, etc. My family believes my thyroid was nicked or something

I know this has nothing to do with age. Had strength and good health before surgery. The Dr never told me of these side effects from the surgery. Even upon being released my BP was very high and the nurses were concerned, and asked the DR. He got upset and wrote a script and released me. Tried researching, can't find an exact answer. If the thyroid was nicked the marked might be healed or I read that their are parts connected to the thyroid gland that could cause similar effects if hit. Seen many specialists but none of them know what to do. They just know my side effects aren't common and even few should last this long. I wish to know the truth, fix it, gain most of my strength back; I.E. I could do 35 pull-ups but now maybe I can do 5 after a year", not worry about my BP and hate being labeled the fat twin now. It's sad I can't even wear the same clothes as my brother. Used to have a 6 pack like my twin but now I look like I'm prego or liquid is leaking into my stomach.

First and foremost, consult with an endocrinologist if you have not already done so. What you are describing does not sound like a known risk or complication of your surgery. If you can determine the cause of your sudden weight gain and it appears related to your surgery then you should consult with an attorney specializing in medical malpractice. There is a 2 year statute of limitations on such claims in Pennsylvania .

I don't know which specialist to see =( I mean I've seen: endocrinologist, neurologist, cardiologist, and also my PCP. and they all say something is wrong but don't know what. For example my PCP did a lung test on me and told me my lung capacity isn't the same as it used to be or should be but rather it's operating at 80% according to the pulmonary function test my PCP used. I haven't seen a Pulmonologist yet, was more worried about my BP and my weight gain, not to mention the loss of strength. I had this surgery May of 2011. I don't know many lawyers or other specialists who know what I should do next.

I am having the same problem. Had surgery in NOV...ACDF..and now they say I have a thyroid problem. Underactive apparently.. I wonder the same thing. Could it be connected? My doctor treated me like garbage and freaked out on me at my last visit cause I was still having problems. I wonder now...think I am going to call a lawyer..

You should consutl with a specialist immediately. If you believe there was medical negligence you have two years generally (with some exceptions) to file a lawsuit so you may want to consult with a lawyer who specializes in medicla negligence claims immediately. The lawyer may be able to give you an idea of whether there was possible negligence or if this is a complication of the surgery that is a known risk.

Scott B. Cooper
scooper@schmidtkramer.com
717-232-6300

Hi: I stumbled upon this posting while searching for information on ACDF complications. I went to the emergency room last year because I was in severe pain from my back. An MRI was performed and I was told I needed to have emergency surgery because the herniated discs Were causing pressure on my spine posing serious complications. I was horrified because they explained y speech, motor skills, strength, memory, etc would be compromised if I didn't go through with the surgery. The surgeon advised me to visit his office where I felt pressured to agree to surgery. They didn't discuss recovery time, side effects, etc. and each time I presented the questions, I was told it depends on my body. Prior to surgery.. I was energetic, maintained normal weight, and when I wasn't suffering from back pain, I could carry outnormal daily functions such as walk up stairs carry groceries, run. I gained close to 50 pounds immediately after surgery which I am working to loose and have finally lost 20 but must be careful because it comes back quick! I can't walk to the corner of my street. I can't function in extreme weather like heat and humidity. I am unable to breath; the muscles in my neck swell up and I begin panting heavily and break out in sweat. During my follow up with the Surgeon, he became upset when I told him I wasn't well. He blamed it on my emotions and stated I wasn't positive going into the surgery.. Of course not!! I was terrified! He prescribed me this medication Lyrica and told me there was not need to come for an appointment to get a refill, just call the office and they will Mohave it ready for me. I stopped taking the medication because of serious side effects that caused me to become confused, unbalanced and more. My right side is now affected and my left side hasn't healed. I am depressed can't breath and feel as if my life is over. I don't want to go back to that surgeon, I just want to feel normal again. I don't know what to do any longer.