Skip to main content

Last week I was attacked by a 18 year old girl in our apt. gym. What are my rights for self defense.

Dallas, TX |

A girl came into our apt gym and started to break into the thermostat control and turn the heat up. I told her to stop and not to do that and tried to get her to stop but she did not care. The control was under lock and key and she broke into it. I told her I was going to report her to the management and that I was recording her and I told her that I was going to get some pictures of her and turn them into the manager. Wile trying to take pictures of her breaking into the box she turned and came at me and took a swing at me and tried to knock my camera from my hands. I the process of defending my self against her I had to push her back. Physical contact was made between us. What a my rights here? The both of us were sited a C21 from the Dallas police. I have a audio recording of it.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You need to hire an attorney. The self-defense statute states that if you are attacked or believe you will be attacked you have the right to use reasonable force to defend yourself. It seems like this is a good case of self-defense. Save the pictures, video or audio that you have to give to your attorney.

    Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal advice has not been given. Also, this question and answer is posted on a public forum and therefore any attorney-privilege is waived.

  2. I don't know what a C21 is. You received a ticket? If so, you should hire a ticket attorney. You also have the right to file a civil suit against her, but you may have a hard time finding an attorney to take it because it's probably not worth much. The apartment complex may bear some liability. It's worth consulting a civil attorney about.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

  3. Call a local attorney. Do not talk to the police without an attorney. Save any evidence you have.

  4. The other lawyers are giving you sound advice. Hire a lawyer to help you develop this self-defense claim. Furthermore, just because you believe you acted to defend yourself, that doesn't mean the prosecutor will believe it. That's why it's important to save the evidence you obtained and enlist the help of a qualified criminal defender to help document the remainder of the case. Act quickly. Important witnesses may be lost if their statements are not obtained in a timely manner.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics