Last Question, I promise. Would like to forget this whole matter and move on. Does the following scenario exist?

Asked 11 months ago - Fort Collins, CO

For those of you familiar with my mold, short wages, eviction ect ect...thing, I want to thank you for tolerating me through this whole thing. That is the thing though... this is not me and I have a Family that relies on me. I need to keep myself in good shape to take care of them. This whole matter has been nothing but toxic to all of us (including those of you that answered my questions and helped out) . This matter has made me very sick and depressed and kept me unproductive in doing what is most important which is take care of my Family (who is now homeless). I should be appearing by phone on Halloween coming up but I don't want to hear that mean mans voice again and I don't want to hear the Judge rule in his favor despite the law & my evidence. I want to trick or treat with my kids:)

I would like to just block this whole thing out and forget it ever happened but my fear is that that Landlord will find a way to get a ruling for even more (money) than he has already taken from us. I would like to file a motion or something to JUST STATE THE FACTS and not even deal with the phone appearance. The Landlord already admitted in the eviction hearing to getting $2115 in advance from us and to owing us wages on the grounds that we refused to sign his I9 and W4 though the CDLE has confirmed our status as private contractors. Can I just testify through some kind of written motion then just forget all about it?

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

4

Answered . No. Your out of court testimony would be what is termed "hearsay". The judge is not allowed to consider it. You must appear in court if you wish to present any testimony. That is the way court works in the United States.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . Mr. Harkess is correct. If you want evidence to come in to court, you need to have people testify in front of the judge live and to be subject to questioning by the opposing side.

3. Jason Carl Kennedy

1

Answered . It is never a good idea to skip a court date. Doing so only makes it infinitely easier for the other side to persuade the judge. Skipping the court date creates this idea that you too believe the other side is right, so it isn't worth your time contesting the matter. Finally, it is disrespectful to the court, and the judge would be less inclined to give you a break later down the road.

In answer to your question, there is no mechanism for simply providing written testimony to the court. Sometimes a motion, requesting that the court take specific action, can be accompanied by supporting affidavits (a form of written testimony) relevant to the motion. But a court will not accept an affidavit submitted by itself in substitute of live testimony at a hearing. The entire point of the hearing is for the court to see, hear, and understand you and for the other side to have the chance to cross examine your testimony to test its veracity. None of that can be accomplished via an affidavit. In sort, once the court determines that a hearing is need, the whole point is to have live testimony.