Landlord wants to breech rental lease after 3 months of us moving in, what can i do??

Asked about 2 years ago - Palm Desert, CA

i signed a lease contract 3 months ago for 2 years, now the landlord says he wants to sell the house. What can i do?? i just moved in. also he rented us the house furnished, so we got rid of our furniture... need help please!

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

6

Answered . You need to have an attorney review the lease the you signed to see if it has any provisions regarding what happens in the event of a sale of the property. Most likely, the new owner must honor your lease. In other words, the house can still be sold but you would just pay rent to the new owner. If this is not consistent with the landlord's position, then you probably have a fight on your hands, which is why it would be prudent to have an attorney review your options now.

2. David M Blain

1

Answered . No, leases usually survive the sale of the property and the new owner must honor the lease entered into by the prior owner.