Landlord tenant act of WA state, tenant's right to remove illegal co-tenant

Asked about 6 years ago - Puyallup, WA

I am renting a place with my cousin. Only her name and mine our on the lease. However, she moved her boyfriend in (without my permission or consent) and he is not on the lease. He has been bringing drugs into our house and providing alcohol to minors. What legal rights do I have to get him out of there? And how do I go about exercising them?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Clifford L. Tuttle Jr.


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I'd tell your cousin that if the boyfriend is not out immediately, you will report it to the landlord and the police. Be aware that your cousin may move out too. You may have to pay the rent until you find a replacement. Insist that the replacement sign the lease with the landlord or, if that doesn't happen, make up a sublease with the same terms as the lease between you and your new tenant.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,788 answers this week

2,736 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,788 answers this week

2,736 attorneys answering