Landlord refuse to renew rental contract after I reported code violations.

Moreno Valley, CA |

In 2009, I was evicted after the previous landlord failed to pay the mortgage for over a year. In January 1, 2010 I was able to rent a 3 bedroom house. The first week I discovered that the electrical outlet in the master bedroom bathroom did not have any power and 4 electrical outlets in the master bedroom did not work. Then the electrical circuit breaker began to fail consistently in the kitchen. The landlord knew that the breaker was faulty. I had to pay for a new one. Then other code violations were discovered that that the landlord would not fix, so I called from an inspection and he got written up for several violation. As a result he said that he was not going to renew my rental agreement, which wasn't renew when the 6 month agreement ended. You got five days to move out. He's angry.

1. The landlord's action might constitute retaliatory eviction. However, a landlord generally has no obligation to renew a lease agreement. If the 6 month agreement has already ended, then the landlord can sue in an unlawful detainer action to evict you. No further notice is needed.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

2. Frank is correct about renewing a rental agreement. Further, if 180 days pass from the date of your constitutionally protected act, there can be no retaliation by statute.

A proper response would require a thorough investigation into the history and background of this relationship. The information provided above is just that, information, to be used as you see fit.