Landlord refuse to renew rental contract after I reported code violations.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Moreno Valley, CA

In 2009, I was evicted after the previous landlord failed to pay the mortgage for over a year. In January 1, 2010 I was able to rent a 3 bedroom house. The first week I discovered that the electrical outlet in the master bedroom bathroom did not have any power and 4 electrical outlets in the master bedroom did not work. Then the electrical circuit breaker began to fail consistently in the kitchen. The landlord knew that the breaker was faulty. I had to pay for a new one. Then other code violations were discovered that that the landlord would not fix, so I called from an inspection and he got written up for several violation. As a result he said that he was not going to renew my rental agreement, which wasn't renew when the 6 month agreement ended. You got five days to move out. He's angry.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . The landlord's action might constitute retaliatory eviction. However, a landlord generally has no obligation to renew a lease agreement. If the 6 month agreement has already ended, then the landlord can sue in an unlawful detainer action to evict you. No further notice is needed.

2. William Stanley Fitch

Answered . Frank is correct about renewing a rental agreement. Further, if 180 days pass from the date of your constitutionally protected act, there can be no retaliation by statute.