Landlord is asking for additional monthly rent?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rochester, NY

My landlord came to me today stating that we are going to have to pay $25 additional per month to keep the foster dog we have in our care. A few weeks ago he told my husband that it would need a $200 extra pet deposit for him just to be safe from damages, etc. and he was told that is fine and we'll get it to him when we have it available.

Then today he comes to me saying that they don't want the deposit anymore and instead we need to give them more in rent each month. We are in a lease agreement for $570 and don't think this is legal but wanted to ask to be sure. He told us that if we do not pay the extra rent he will file to evict us.

1. Steven Warren Smollens

2

Best Answer

Answered . Dear Tenant:

A landlord cannot raise the rent on its own initiative during the term of a current lease. But a landlord also does not need to renew a lease when the lease expires. Usually, the landlord does not have a right to evict during the term of a current lease, but if your landlord is serious and threatening, then what is likely to occur is the landlord will revoke consent to have the dog, and if you do not move the dog out of the home, the landlord will claim that you are in default of the lease.

This may be a good reason to consult with an attorney.

You may consider that the landlord is looking to modify the provisions of the current lease, to account for the dog, the additional security for the dog and to increase the rent. That should go hand in glove with a longer term for the lease.

Your lease likely provides that the lease may be modified as long as both you and landlord agree to the modifications and the amendment to the lease is written and properly signed and acknowledged.

So if your landlord is looking to negotiate a written modification of the lease, and you do not feel comfortable on your own to negotiate terms that may be beneficial to you, hire an attorney to help you out.

2. Regina Gordon

2

Answered . Consult your lease. Is there a provision for pets? If so, it likely specifies what fees, if any, are involved.

3. Andrew Endicott Schrafel

2

Answered . As the prior posters said, the lease needs to be reviewed but an attorney to see if pets are specifically included/ excluded in the lease already and what other provisions are in the lease.

Before you do that try talking to your landlord, see why he wants to renegotiate the lease, perhaps he has to pay higher insurance. If you like living there, it is much easier to come to a compromise rather than fight and move, or stay and have a bad relationship with your landlord.