Landlord has attempted to combine tenants from two separate and distinct leases to collect alleged damages

Asked 12 months ago - Phoenix, AZ

I hope this gives enough detail, tried to be concise:
1 year lease with a total of five tenants. Lease ends, walk through occurs, portion of security deposit refunded by check. Amount is disputed, check is never deposited, and landlord does not properly address the dispute. New 1 year lease signed with 1 tenant from previous lease and 2 new tenants. New tenants encounter issues with landlord, are evicted/break lease after approximately four months. Landlord sends list of damages to both sets of tenants with total of damages higher than the sum of both security deposits. Threatens to send all tenants to collections if the remaining alleged damages are not paid. Can the landlord do this?

Additional information

Upon review, I want to make sure I clarify this point. After the second set of tenants leave, landlord does a walk through and sends a single list of damages addressed to all of the tenants from both the first and second leases, presumably as though they are all jointly liable for alleged damages discovered upon the departure of the second set of tenants. Can she do that? Can she ruin our credit by sending us all to collections?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Joseph E Holland


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I think I understand the issue. Under ARS 33-1321, the landlord must provide an accounting within 14 days of termination of the tenancy regarding damages to the premises and where she has applied the security deposit. Thus, she will not be able to make a claim against the first tenants. Also, if the damages existed before tenants moved in, tenants are not responsible for them. She cannot simply sue each of the tenants and say, in essence, 'you figure out who did the damage.' She bears the burden of proof that the tenant she sued is responsible for the damages.

    No one should rely upon generalized information for their specific matter unless they have consulted with a... more
  2. Andrew H. Pastwick

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Depends. After the original walk through, did the tenants get anything in writing regarding the condition of the property after they moved out. I would strongly suggest that you hire a local attorney that specializes in real estate. It sounds like you may need a letter written by an attorney to defend your interest.

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Renting property

Rentals are houses, apartments, or similar where the resident pays the building's owner for the right to live there, usually under the terms of a written lease.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,146 answers this week

2,344 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,146 answers this week

2,344 attorneys answering