Landlord Harassment Constructive Eviction

Asked 6 months ago - Staten Island, NY

I have been facing harassment from my landlord. The communal bathroom door doesn't have a lock, so other people in the building have continually walked in on and seen me nude in the bathroom. I've made several complaints to the landlord but his defense is that it is unlawful for the bathroom door to have a lock and that he needs special permission/approval from the city in order to put a lock on the bathroom door so that one can be able to lock it while using the bathroom.
He also put a notice on my door stating my name and how much I owe so that everybody can see it. Anytime I complain, he sends me a text telling me to leave and that he doesn't want me there.
I would like to know if this counts as harassment or is he legally allowed to do this.

Is it lawful for a landlord to post a notice on my door stating how much I owe so that everybody could read it and join in the harassment?

1. Steven Warren Smollens

2

1

Answered . Dear Staten Island Tenant:

If your landlord committed a wrongful act and breached the lease and the covenant of quiet enjoyment, then you are correct, that a constructive eviction occurred. A constructive eviction suspends the tenant's obligation to pay rent, and so, the tenant may abandon the rented premises and move out.

The longer the tenant remains in full possession after declaring a constructive eviction the less likely a court will side with the tenant.

2. Bruno Patrick Bianchi

2

Answered . There is no city code provision that prohibits interior door locks in bathrooms. It sounds like you are living in a home where multiple rooms are being rented. This is probably illegal and unsafe. You should consider moving to a safer place.

The above constitutes general information only and should not be considered legal advice.
  3. Peter J Weinman

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with both attorneys, specifically Mr. Bruno, who suggested that you're probably living in an unsafe and illegal apartment. I am sure you're getting what you pay for (what you can afford) so I am not taking your situation lightly, but hope that you find better arrangements soon. Good luck!