Landlord harassing and making threats.

Asked about 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

Recently our landlord and some other tenants (who were our friends) had a misunderstanding and the friends moved out. We helped them move and ever since the landlord has been harassing us and picking on things he never had an issue with before. Ending result, the landlord and my husband had some unsettling words and the next thing you know, we had a letter on our door stating No cursing and no loud music or I will call the police and DCF. He lives on site and seems to be making rules as he goes now. I believe our right to freedom of speech is being violated.Now I believe he is retaliating because we helped the other tenants move out and he has been very nasty ever since, making threats and harassing. Is he allowed to do this? My rent is always paid ahead of time and is current.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kristopher Robert Reilly

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I would respond to the landlord's threats, but not with words, but rather with the threat of taking legal action through the sevrices of an attorney. Generally, this type of situation would not cause that much concern, however, I truly believe that someone needs to be officially put on notice to desist their actions when they threaten to unjustly call DCF. The landlord is taking a landlord/tenant problem and trying to turn it into a serious issue which may cause harm to your family structure. Also, there are several landlord/tenant statutes that can protect your rights. I seriously suggest trying to stop this situation before it turns into something much more. Remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound in cure. Best of Luck.

  2. Preston Hall Oughton


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The Lease will govern the relationship between the landlord and tenant. Most lease agreements will outline the relationship between you and your landlord. Generally, landlords are not allowed to harrass their tenants. False reports to the police and DCF can lead to fines. I recommend you talk with an attorney about your situation because your situation escalates with the landlord again.

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Preston H. Oughton, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Preston H. Oughton (904) 854-6336.

  3. John Michael Phillips


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,414 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,414 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering