Landlord harassing and making threats.

Jacksonville, FL |

Recently our landlord and some other tenants (who were our friends) had a misunderstanding and the friends moved out. We helped them move and ever since the landlord has been harassing us and picking on things he never had an issue with before. Ending result, the landlord and my husband had some unsettling words and the next thing you know, we had a letter on our door stating No cursing and no loud music or I will call the police and DCF. He lives on site and seems to be making rules as he goes now. I believe our right to freedom of speech is being violated.Now I believe he is retaliating because we helped the other tenants move out and he has been very nasty ever since, making threats and harassing. Is he allowed to do this? My rent is always paid ahead of time and is current.

I would respond to the landlord's threats, but not with words, but rather with the threat of taking legal action through the sevrices of an attorney. Generally, this type of situation would not cause that much concern, however, I truly believe that someone needs to be officially put on notice to desist their actions when they threaten to unjustly call DCF. The landlord is taking a landlord/tenant problem and trying to turn it into a serious issue which may cause harm to your family structure. Also, there are several landlord/tenant statutes that can protect your rights. I seriously suggest trying to stop this situation before it turns into something much more. Remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound in cure. Best of Luck.

www.krrlaw.com

FOR A FREE 20 MINUTE INITIAL TELEPHONE CONSULTATION CALL 904-309-8461 NOTHING IN THIS ANSWER IS INTENDED TO CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP NOR SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A SUBSTITUTE FOR AN IN PERSON CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY/THIS ANSWER IS NOT INTENDED TO BE TAKEN AS LEGAL ADVICE, ALL PARTIES POSTING QUESTIONS ARE HIGHLY ADVISED TO IMMEDIATELY SEEK COUNSEL TO REMEDY THEIR LEGAL PROBLEMS. "THE HIRING OF A LAWYER IS AN IMPORTANT DECISIONS THAT SHOULD NOT SOLELY BE BASED UPON ADVERTISEMENTS, BEFORE YOU DECIDE ASK FOR FREE WRITTEN INFORMATION REGARDING OUR QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE" Irving &Reilly, P.L. 3733 University Blvd., Suite 212 Jacksonville, Fl. 32217

2. The Lease will govern the relationship between the landlord and tenant. Most lease agreements will outline the relationship between you and your landlord. Generally, landlords are not allowed to harrass their tenants. False reports to the police and DCF can lead to fines. I recommend you talk with an attorney about your situation because your situation escalates with the landlord again.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Preston H. Oughton, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Preston H. Oughton poughton@oughtonlaw.com (904) 854-6336.