Skip to main content

Landlord didn't have us sign new lease.

Tampa, FL |

We entered into a lease agreement on a home for a year which ended this past April. The landlord raised the rent by 100.00, but never asked us to sign a new lease for another year. Essentially we have no written agreement by either party for the second year. We now want to move and give him 30 day notice. Can he hold us to the next 8 month's without anything in writing?

Attorney Answers 2


No. In situations like this, your tenancy rolls to a month-to-month tenancy with all the other terms of the lease agreement in effect.

Andrew M. Bonderud, Esq. is an attorney with The Bonderud Law Firm, P.A. He offers free consultations 24/7. Andrew's posting here is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


As long as the lease you signed does not have an automatic renewal provision that required you to give advance notice that you are not renewing, you are now on a month-to-month tenancy and can terminate by giving at least 15 days written notice prior to the end of any monthly period. Be sure to vacate by the end of the rental period to avoid owing double rent as a "hold-over" tenant.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

Mark as helpful

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics