Skip to main content

Land contract house was never taken out of my name by seller what can i do about this?

Lansing, MI |

I moved from a land contract house to another house this person was managing that was about 5 months ago. I just received a letter from the city letting me know that the property was still in my name and I signed the property back to him when I signed the new contract for my house. I moved from the first residence because the property was unsafe. (flooding leaking roof and sewage backing up into house.)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I would contact the city and provide them with a copy of the documents you signed. That should take care of this, easily.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


Send the city a copy of the document under which you and the land contract seller agreed that the LC was terminated and that the seller was back in possession. If you don't have a copy, try to get it from the seller. You should retain the document in your files.

You haven't identified the other parties involved in this question so I cannot determine whether I may have a conflict in this matter. Should it turn out that I have an attorney-client relationship with any of the other parties, my response to this question will not prevent me from continuing to represent an existing client.


Land Contract is only equitable ownership and the Seller (vendor) holds the deed. Simply change the tax registration, water and sewer bill back to the Seller by showing the city the land contract paperwork and let them know you moved. It's that simple, as my esteemed colleagues have stated. Michigan law allows you to forfeit a land contract without penalty (other that for bills, taxes or damages that accrued during the time you lived there or occupied the property). Best wishes.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer