Lakewood Colorado, I received a ticket for shoplifting at Kohl's.

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I was with someone that was shoplifting. We walked out together I was driving. I did not take anything and now I have received a letter demand I pay 225.00 in a civil claim within 21 days. I have not been to court and when I do I'm plan to get it dismissed. If I get it dismissed do they have a claim on me? And if its not dismissed do I have to pay it? The letter is from a Law offices in Greenvale, NY. a MICHAEL IRA ASEN, P. C.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John M Connell


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No you have right to contest this if you feel that you are wrongly accused of the theft.

  2. Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You can probably ignore the civil demand, certainly pending the outcome of the theft case. While it is good that you "plan to get it dismissed," you might want to be represented by an attorney. What if you were driving a car and your friend wanted you to stop by the bank real quick so he could get some money and then you go to lunch, only you see on the news that without your knowledge at the time, your friend robbed that bank while he was in there, and shot and killed someone during the robbery. Think you could get that dismissed? Try felony murder.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,117 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,117 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering