Laid off full time job quit part time job- denied benefits - please help!!!!!

Livonia, MI |

I was was laid off from my full time job (separating employer) 12-18-13. I also worked at a retail store starting in September of 2013. This was a seasonal part-time job (12 to 16 hours per week) to end after the holiday. This was not my primary source of income and I did not depend on this income to pay my bills. I quit this the part time job a few days later to focus on finding another full time job. I was at my primary job 8 years. Since being laid off from my primary employer I returned to college to complete my degree starting the winter semester of 2014. I filled out my Financial Aid forms in the summer of 2013 and I was awarded $2,630 for the winter semester of school. I had already signed the promissory note and necessary paperwork prior to being laid off from my full time job. I quit the part time job to focus on finding another full time job and complete my degree. I would have been forced to quit my part time job anyway because I could not have taken evening classes or would have been laid off after January. I still am able to work full time and I am focused on finding another full time. I have never collected unemployment before and I was unaware that I would be disqualified for quitting a part-time job. I feel like I am being penalized for returning to school and focusing on looking for a full time job. This situation and denial of unemployment benefits has caused me significant financial hardship and the possible loss of my home and car. Please tell me what I can do here?

1. I believe you previously posted this question and received a response. The Agency likely denied your benefits because you voluntarily quit your part-time job and because you returned to school. Have you appealed your determination, yet? There are strict time requirements to file an appeal. Like the answer to your previous post suggested, you would need to convince the agency that you're available and seeking full-time work and that you did not voluntarily quit your employment.

This answer is for information purposes only and is not legal advice. I am not your attorney unless you and I have signed an engagement letter.