Laid off full time job quit part time job- denied benefits - please help!!!!!

Livonia, MI |

I was was laid off from my full time job (separating employer) 12-18-13. I also worked at a retail store starting in September of 2013. This was a seasonal part-time job (12 to 16 hours per week) to end after the holiday. This was not my primary source of income and I did not depend on this income to pay my bills. I quit this the part time job a few days later to focus on finding another full time job. I was at my primary job 8 years. Since being laid off from my primary employer I returned to college to complete my degree starting the winter semester of 2014. I filled out my Financial Aid forms in the summer of 2013 and I was awarded $2,630 for the winter semester of school. I had already signed the promissory note and necessary paperwork prior to being laid off from my full time job. I quit the part time job to focus on finding another full time job and complete my degree. I would have been forced to quit my part time job anyway because I could not have taken evening classes or would have been laid off after January. I still am able to work full time and I am focused on finding another full time. I have never collected unemployment before and I was unaware that I would be disqualified for quitting a part-time job. I feel like I am being penalized for returning to school and focusing on looking for a full time job. This situation and denial of unemployment benefits has caused me significant financial hardship and the possible loss of my home and car. Please tell me what I can do here?

I believe you previously posted this question and received a response. The Agency likely denied your benefits because you voluntarily quit your part-time job and because you returned to school. Have you appealed your determination, yet? There are strict time requirements to file an appeal. Like the answer to your previous post suggested, you would need to convince the agency that you're available and seeking full-time work and that you did not voluntarily quit your employment.

This answer is for information purposes only and is not legal advice. I am not your attorney unless you and I have signed an engagement letter.

Yes they give me a redetermination and it was denied. This was all based on the part time job. The full time job is the full job that I was laid off from. I am in the process of posting the redetermination. I honestly did not think I was doing anything wrong. I have never gonna through unemployment before. I had planned on going back to school months before I was laid off. Should i have just quit school and lost my fianancial aid? I just need some insight cuase I'm going nuts!

George Blackmore

George Blackmore

There's a few things the Agency is probably looking at. One is that you quit your part-time job, and the other is that you're not available for work because you went back to school. Making the argument that you're "available for work" will be difficult because you quit a part-time job to go to school. Most students either work, or take out student loans to cover their costs of living. While this isn't a lost cause, there are resources available. I'm linking you to Michigan Unemployment Insurance Project's website for guidance. Also, depending on your situation, they may take your case at no cost. Hopefully this provides you some help. http://www.miui.org/

All my classes are the evening and I am still available for full time employment that were the normal hours of my full time job. I am also not going to school full time. It's part time. I worked at law firm so my normal hours for work are doing the day. Can't they base the unemployment off my full time job instead of totally denying me? If a go back to a part time job can I collect partial benefits from my full time job?

George Blackmore

George Blackmore

Like I've said, and the other attorneys that commented on your previous posts, you would have to prove that you're available for work, your part-time job was seasonal so you didn't quit, and you were laid-off from your full-time job. When the Agency sees that someone quit a job and is enrolled in school, they're going to deny that person almost every time. In order for them to base unemployment off of your full-time job, you would have needed to file when you were laid off. In regards to going back to a part-time job to collect underemployment from your full-time job after you quit a part-time job, I've personally never seen it done. You need to appeal your redetermination and try to prove all of the things that you've been advised on here. Use the link I provided in my previous comment for guidance. I would even suggest calling them. I've done some work for them in the past, and they do a good job.

I did call them and they were a big help. I really do appreciate your help and patience in talking to me.