Lady pulls up next to me saying I hit her car. Requested cash on the spot. Now she's pestering me for payment. What to do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pullman, WA

I pull over, lady shows me her mirror is barely attached. Claims that I, from the next lane over, made contact with her mirror with my mirror.

I didn't notice that but I suppose it's possible...

She then points out a scratch on her quarter panel. That is something I cannot figure out. There's nothing protruding from my vehicle at that height. I cannot imagine what part of my car could have caused that.

Anyway, we exchanged info. Now she's demanding to be paid.

I'm not even sure I did any of it. My mirror wasn't even moved. You'd think my (non-powered) mirror would be "adjusted" at least a little bit if it hit hers hard enough to knock it loose. In fact there's no damage to my car at all. Than again my car's a hoopty.

Then there's that blasted scratch.

Am I getting suckered?

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

10

Answered . Simply report this to the police and your insurance company.

2. Lisa Douglas

Pro

7

Best Answer

Answered . If your car came in to contact with her car, there should be some sort of evidence of scratching or paint on your car that matches her car. I recommend you turn it in to your insurance company and tell her to do the same. And I also agree with the other attorneys in this post.

3. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

8

Answered . It sounds like she's trying to take advantage of you. I agree with prior answer and I'd report it to the police and your insurance company. When the police contact her that should be enough to scare her if she in fact is making a false claim.

Good Luck.

4. Crystal Grace Rutherford

Pro

3

Answered . You need to report this to your insurance company. They will send someone out to investigate and take pictures pictures of your car and talk to the woman making the claim. If the woman is in fact lying, she will likely back-off because insurance fraud has serious consequences.

5. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

4

Answered . Sounds like you're being suckered. You should have had the cops come down.

6. William John Carlson

Pro

2

Answered . Power mirrors are expensive ($350-500). If you know you did it, turn the claim into your insurance company. That is why you pay premiums for liability coverage, to use it when you need it. Don't make any "off the books" payments. Let your company determine the nature and extent of her damages.

Pro

3

Answered . Report to police & insurance carrier.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com