Lack of affection is why she wants out, I keep house, she goes. Only dispute is my 401k, she wants half when I retire.

Kansas City, MO |

Can I fight her on 401K and win? all other financials are agreed on. No fault looks good, we're broken beyond repair.

I'd have a hard time seeing a judge award you the house and your entire 401k unless she is receiving roughly an equal portion of marital property, assuming the house and 401k (or the majority of the 401k) were acquired during the marriage. There are definitely not enough facts provided here to provide any meaningful guidance on this question.

You've got yourself a good answer there. Do not expect the world from your ex-wife as seen through the eyes of a judge, who will invariably save for exceptional cases tend to side with the mother since the mother tends to get custody and family and matrimonial court are all about THE CHILDREN.

So, if she's got custody, and has a 401K, I'm not matrimonial attorney, but I'd have to think you're looking at a very long shot at best.

Good luck!

Best,
Mattthew

Attention: This e-mail originates from the law firm of CARTER PEK, P.C. ("The Firm"). All information appearing herein is protected and regarded as confidential, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) indicated above. Be advised that if the reader of this message is not in fact the intended recipient, notice is hereby given that any dissemination, distribution and/or copying of this message is strictly prohibited and punishable by law. If you have received this message in error, kindly reply to sender forthwith, and destroy and purge any and all copies of such message, whether in paper, digital or other media format. If you are not an existing client of The Firm, do not construe anything in this message to cause you to become a client of The Firm, unless it contains a specific statement to that effect, and refrain from disclosing any sensitive information in which you have an expectation of privacy and/or confidence if sending a reply. contains a specific statement to that effect, and be careful not to disclose any sensitive information in reply that you expect to hold in confidence. If you are the intended recipient hereof and are a client, co-counsel or retained expert of The Firm, be mindful to maintain its contents in strict confidence in order to preserve any and all privileges, including the attorney-client and/or work product privileges that may apply. Thank you. IRC 230 Disclosure: In accordance with Internal Revenue Code 230, The Firm hereby advises you that, unless otherwise expressly stated, any reference made to or discussion of a federal tax issue contained in this message, or in any attachment(s) hereto, are neither intended nor permitted to be used for purposes of avoiding federal tax penalties.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce