Labor law Retaliation for work injury and harrasment

Asked 10 months ago - Bakersfield, CA

I was injured at work on April 4 I went to a follow up last week on the 23 and was told i was going to be refereed to a specialist Orthopedic my fracture finger because bone didnt heal and i am going to need surgery that day i return to work and i was written up for my injury they also re-did my review on the 23rd which i had gotten my review on the 1st three days before my injury. Today i went to work i was using dark shade safety glasses in the morning it was dark outside because those where the only pair i had a co-worker brought it up to me and the supervisor when he show up i got Another write and Suspended until i pass my drug test because they have suspicion i am using drug which i am not I got a Work comp Lawyer already Do i need a Labor Law attorney It is becoming very stressful

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unless you are in a Union, you do not want a labor lawyer. I think it would be worthwhile for you to talk to a plaintiffs' employment attorney. Many will provide free consultations. If you are terminated, the damages you can get from a wrongful termination case brought in civil court are significantly more than what is available in the workers' compensation arena. That said, if you are using illegal drugs, and the drug test reflects that, there's not much a lawyer can do to help you.

    The answer provided should not be used as a substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney licensed or... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I would speak to your attorney first and then determine if an employment attorney is necessary, or perhaps your attorney will handle your employment issues as well. Labor Code 132a addresses discrimination for filing a workers compensation, which is a case that would be heard by the Workers Compensation Appeals Board and your workers compensation attorney would likely handle. You may also have other issues such as violations of ADA and FEHA which may be handled by another attorney.

    First step for you would be to have a phone or in person conference with your workers compensation attorney to develop a plan of action.

    Disclaimers: Making a false or fraudulent workers compensation claim is a felony subject to up to 5 years in... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Based upon the situation you describe you should consult with an employment law attorney. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo. Also, here’s a link to the California Employment Lawyers Association website where you can search for an employment law attorney in your area. CELA attorneys specialize in representing employees and many offer free consultations. Best of luck to you.

    THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would suggest you talk to an employment lawyer because you have been retaliated against and subject to a hostile work environment. I would contact an attorney immediately.

    Matthew Famiglietti

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Work-related personal injuries

Employees can sue for damages if they’ve suffered work-related injuries. These lawsuits are separate from workers’ compensation and cover more kinds of injury.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now