LA Superior Court traffic ticket. Arraignment and trial on the same date.

How do I go straight to trial without having to appear twice for an arraignment and then then for the trial ? These are my on line options for LA superior court : 1 . Appearance Date Extension - The extension date will be xx / xx / xx 2 . Traffic School Payment . . . 3 . Full Payment to Close Your Citation . . . 4 . Court Date Reservation for Arraignment Only - No Trials - Select a time preference below . In prior years I would just schedule a court date and that's when the officer showed up for the trial , but last time I had to go for an arraignment and the trial separately . What's the correct process to avoid this again ?

Ok, I called and clarified this with the clerk from West LA courthouse. No arraignment is needed if I post bail and sign the non-guilty plea. To do this, I have to go to cashier window anytime during court hours. So, I still have to go twice, but at least I won't have to waste time at the arraignment waiting for my name to be called and then wait in that line to pay the bail. Hope this helps anybody in similar situation.

You may enter a written plea of not guilty and include bail with your letter and ask for a trial date, if you do this be sure to send your letter verified mail with signature receipt. You may also want to consider doing a trial by written declaration which gives you two bites at the apple in that if you lose your trial by written declaration you can re-open your case within 20 days for a court trial.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

2. You have to have an arraignment first and plead not guilty to get a trial date. At that time officer is supposed to show up. Get an attorney to deal with this.

Andrew Roberts
    (818) 597-0633

3. You can't. Unless you post the bail amount, you must appear on your arraignment date and request a court trial.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

Traffic tickets topics