Skip to main content

LA County Traffic court, fix-it ticket

Long Beach, CA |

I received a fix-it ticket from CHP Oct '09 for inability to show proof of insurance. Told to show proof at any CHP station, I did two days later. I mailed the stamped, signed ticket to the LA County Courthouse and missed that a $25 fee should be included. In April '10 the Court sent me a notice to remit the fee or appear in court but sent it to my former address (my D/L was updated to show the correct address in 12/09). June '10 a suspension and fine for FTA was received. The suspension was temp lifted and a court date set for Feb '11.

I'm a bit surprised the Court didn't check to see if I had a change of address six months from the date of the ticket but, so be it. Is appearing in court the only option avail. to me (other than paying the $1,000+ fine)? Help is appreciated.

Attorney Answers 2


Keep all of your papers- especially the ones where you changed DL address.- and be prepared to bring them to court. Hiring a traffic ticket attorney might be the easiest way to deal with this. You will not have to appear as an attorney can appear for you. Which Court? Give me a call if you have any questions.

Andrew Roberts
(818) 597-0633

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


This sounds like a fairly normal and reasonable mixup. You thought that the LA Courts and DMV would be on top of everything? That will be the day.

I advise you to meet with an experienced traffic attorney. You started off owing $25 and now they want over $1,000. With a good attorney, you should be able to keep the final number much closer to the $25 than the $1,000. And, you can keep it off your record.

Best wishes,

Jason Beahm
Beahm Law

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics