LA County Traffic court, fix-it ticket

Long Beach, CA |

I received a fix-it ticket from CHP Oct '09 for inability to show proof of insurance. Told to show proof at any CHP station, I did two days later. I mailed the stamped, signed ticket to the LA County Courthouse and missed that a $25 fee should be included. In April '10 the Court sent me a notice to remit the fee or appear in court but sent it to my former address (my D/L was updated to show the correct address in 12/09). June '10 a suspension and fine for FTA was received. The suspension was temp lifted and a court date set for Feb '11.

I'm a bit surprised the Court didn't check to see if I had a change of address six months from the date of the ticket but, so be it. Is appearing in court the only option avail. to me (other than paying the $1,000+ fine)? Help is appreciated.

1. Keep all of your papers- especially the ones where you changed DL address.- and be prepared to bring them to court. Hiring a traffic ticket attorney might be the easiest way to deal with this. You will not have to appear as an attorney can appear for you. Which Court? Give me a call if you have any questions.

Andrew Roberts
    (818) 597-0633

2. This sounds like a fairly normal and reasonable mixup. You thought that the LA Courts and DMV would be on top of everything? That will be the day.

I advise you to meet with an experienced traffic attorney. You started off owing $25 and now they want over $1,000. With a good attorney, you should be able to keep the final number much closer to the $25 than the $1,000. And, you can keep it off your record.

Best wishes,

Jason Beahm
    Beahm Law